A dragonfly are symbols of happiness and new beginnings. Learn to paint this dragonfly as it hovers over purple cone flowers.
- Course Difficulty Rating: Beginner/Intermediate Level
- Video Duration: 1 hour 31 minutes
- Materials & Supplies List
- Printable Pattern
- Full Step by Step Written instructions with Images
- Full-Length Audio Video
Canvas size 14 x 14 inches (20" x 16" will work, just add more background)
Paints - Oil
- Titanium White (TW)
- Cadmium Yellow (CY)
- Yellow Ochre (YO)
- Alizarin Crimson (AC)
- Burnt Sienna (BS)
- Ivory Black (IB)
- Sap Green (SG)
- Viridian Green (VG)
- Prussian Blue (PRB)
- Dioxazine Purple (DP)
Paints - Acrylic or Gesso
- 1" chip brush for applying medium
- 3/4 inch Flat Brush
- Small Filbert- (1/4" - 1/2" wide)
- Mop Brush
I always try to create various value streams of color, not mixing solid colors but having marbled colors, starting from dark to light. That way I can pick up various shades, without mixing, as I go.
- SG+IB = equal amounts makes a very dark green
- Dark green mix above + YO + touch of TW= lighter green
- VG + CY + TW = even lighter green
- TW + a tiny touch of CY = very, very pale yellow/white.
- Various shades of purple using DP + TW PrB + AC+ TW in various amounts
Safflower Oil (artist grade) diluted to 50/50 – with Galkyd Lite Medium (has a dryer in it). See canvas prep for other options.